Saturday, May 26, 2018

Poem: Feeling like a Third Wheel

There we are on our date
Your friend sitting next to you
The two of you engaged in a lively conversation
About the movie we had just seen
A movie filled with violence, sex, and drugs
One you don’t take a girl to
When you’re just getting to know each other

No words escape me then
And I’m beginning to think
That it’s the two of you who are on a date
And I am nothing but a third wheel
Someone that doesn’t belong
In the booth with you at the diner

I want to leave you right then
But you are my only way home
And so I sit there waiting
Until the two of you finish your date
And finally say it’s time to go home

Written May 17, 2018 

© 2018 by Lena Kovadlo. Use with permission only.

3 comments:

  1. Goodness - this made me feel so sad - I'd felt like a 3rd wheel too! Sad but written with much feelings and truth. Barb :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That makes me think. I would never make you feel like a third wheel, Lena. A privilege it would be to get to know you more. Your poem really makes me ponder where you come from, but in a completely good way. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That makes me think what such a date would feel like. Hurtful I think. Nicely done, Lena.

    ReplyDelete